Monday 10 August 2015

Hollywood-based actor Chirisa expected home

Tongayi Arnold Chirisa

Hollywood-based Zimbabwean actor Tongayi Arnold Chirisa is expected in the country next week on Friday for a mini-tour of the country that will see him interact with aspiring actors.
Chirisa, who first rose to prominence on
the now defunct local soapie, Studio 263, will jet into the country with Zimbabwean celebrity make-up artiste Jackie Muchanyuka-Mgido who is also based in Hollywood.
The rising star, arguably Zimbabwe’s most successful actor at the moment, confirmed the imminent return to his homeland in an interview with the Daily News yesterday.
“This trip is really to give a face to anybody hoping and aspiring to be an actor or whatever dream they have. I am just coming to share my experience and hopefully instil some fire and determination in anyone that is serious about their craft,” said Chirisa.
The celebrated Zimbabwean actor is making it big in Hollywood. One of the highlights of his stint in Hollywood is featuring in Whitney, the late Whitney Houston’s biopic where he acted as the late legendary singer’s brother Gary.
Chirisa has also had roles in productions such as Sleepy Hollow, The American Horror Story, Barack Obama’s Cousin, Gargoyle, Bones, Crusoe and many others.
The popular actor was quick to point out that his rise to the top was not a bed of roses.
“Being a child of the soil, I experienced one of the toughest times in our existence as Zimbabweans but through faith and perseverance I was able to get where I am. I had faith and I believed in myself and that God had given me a vision and a purpose and a plan and I stuck with it. So to anyone who pretty much wants a boost, the trip is all about giving hope, as simple as that,” said Chirisa.
The former Studio 263 actor said he will have time to meet people and pose for pictures in typical celebrity style.
“I will also meet people who have supported and believed in me ever since the early days of doing Theatre in the Park. It’s good just to be able to come back and say hey guys it’s possible and you allowed me to become who I am because of your praise and belief.”
Muchanyuka-Mgido said Chirisa will visit various Vault Cosmetics points in Harare.
“Tongai is a really good friend of mine and he has made it in Hollywood. I am really excited for him. One of the things that we were talking about was encouraging Zimbabweans to dream big.
“What’s really great is I am bringing him to Zimbabwe, he will be signing autographs. He is coming next week Friday and he will be doing a tour.”
According to Muchanyuka-Mgido he will be at Barbours at 7am after which he will visit Truworths (Sam Levy Village) in the afternoon.


No comments: